North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Monday, September 10, 2012

First Letter: 7/25/12


7/25/12
Hello parents!
          I don’t know when my P-Day comes around, so I’m writing you a letter real fast to tell you how my first day went!  In short, this was a day full of blessings.  I bumped into a TON of people I knew:  Nick Johnson and Chris Walker from Bountiful High, my EQP from my freshman ward, and Mason Stout, my roommate!  My companion is Elder Letalu-Lokeni (from Lehi), and one of the two people in my room in the other companionship is Joseph Smith in a church movie (he’s also in “Money or Mission”).  I t looks like a fun group – we’re all headed to Charlotte.  (To clarify, Joseph smith is Elder Whitaker, and his comp is Elder Cross.)
          We started out in a classroom, where we met our teachers, and then we went to our MTC welcome, where the presidency addressed us and we had a beautiful piano arrangement of “Master, the Tempest is Raging.”  Dinner was mashed potatoes (meh) and ROLLS! YAY! Once that was done, Elder Letalu and I headed off to our Teaching Experience, which involved having three different “investigators” having a discussion with a large group of missionaries.  We took a lot of notes.  One was a Catholic widower concerned about child baptism, one was a guy wondering about the Book of Mormon, and one was a Shinto Japanese guy.
          After that, we got to go to our apartment to settle in.  There’s a pull-up bar right outside my door, so that will make sure I don’t lose the ability! I got unpacked – am I missing some slacks?  I’ve only got two with me – (they were being delivered that afternoon by Missionary Mall, by the way) and did a bit of bonding with my comps.  It’ll take me awhile to adapt to the schedule.
          That’s about all I can write for now, it’s almost Lights-Out.  It appears that Tuesdays are my P-Day, so I’ll email you then and tell you more.
          I sure miss you.  I love you all so much.  Pray for me so that I’ll get in the groove quickly.  Sure love you, Mom – Be strong!  I’ll write more later.
          Love, Danny
(new page)
          Well, survived the first night!  I got the top bunk (taking advice from the RM film in regards to sleeping arrangements) and I managed to get my fan’s cord to stretch all the way to the top.  I slept fairly well, and it’ll only get better as time goes on.  Eight hours of sleep is actually pretty good!  The only problem was Elder Letalu accidentally set his alrm for 6:30 PM, not AM . . .
          Anyhoo, there’s a lot of studying to do, but the schedule doesn’t actually look that hard.  We’ll have gotten into the groove before too long.  I’m pretty excited for my classes! Again, I’ll tell you more on Tuesday.  So far our group of four is planning on following the schedule a bit more closely tonight; I want to be in bed at 10:15!
          Today I can look forward to two hours of classroom time at 8:30, a workshop at 2, and meeting the Branch President at 6:30.  We have gym time at 4:15, so we’ll see what Elder Letalu thinks about that.
          Well, I guess I’d better scurry off.  I sure love you, and I miss you.  It’s crazy to think that you are so nearby, or that I won’t actually be seeing you for two years.  Oh well.  The work goes on!  Sure love you.  Tell you more Tuesday!
          Love, Danny  (a.k.a. Elder Fisher)

No comments:

Post a Comment