North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Sunday, January 27, 2013

1/22/13 'What about the R-O-U-S-es?"


"What about the R-O-U-S-es?"
"Referrals Of Unusual Spirituality? I don't believe they exist."

OH. MAN.

Being a missionary is the best thing ever. In case you are wondering, it is.

This Thursday I was on exchange with Elder Wright. Around 1 PM a massive rain storm started up in the middle of our finding time, and we were getting pounded by rain. After enduring this for about four hours, we had to head home so that we would arrive in time for the Zone Leaders to take us to our dinner appointment. The return journey was about 40 minutes.

I'm just going to tell you: I've lived in Washington before, so I know what cold, constant rain is like. I've lived in El Paso, so I know what strong wind is like. I've lived in Utah, so I know what low temperatures are like. But I tell you, I have never, ever, been so cold and so wet in my entire life. Literally every single inch of me was soaked and freezing to the bone, and since I consider myself a pretty thick-skinned person, that means it was cold. It was raining, visibility was poor, my brakes weren't working, the wind was blowing against me, the road was slippery, huge puddles were everywhere, I was tired from hours of previous biking, and it was cold.

In short, it was one of the greatest moments of my life.

For as I was biking, it occurred to me that there was literally no reason for me to be out here, from a worldly standpoint. Here I was, weather-blasted and in very real danger of running into the side of a car (due to slippery roads and faulty brakes - which have since been fixed, Mom) -- should one suddenly appear in front of me -- biking for forty minutes. So why was I doing it? What was the point of it all?

Well...because the Church is true.

Since the Church is true, and since God is our Father, and Jesus Christ His Son, and Joseph Smith His Prophet...none of this mattered. My frozen fingers, the water sloshing around in my water-tight shoes, the rain in my eyes -- it was all worth it, because the Church is true. I was out here because I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life. The storm may rage, the floods may rise, and Carolinian drivers may disregard all traffic rules and common sense -- but the Church is true, and I will spread the Good News, no matter what the weather.

I had a lot of fun in that bike ride. I was so incredibly happy the whole time. It has literally been the highlight of the last month or so. We got home in time for dinner, and I got changed into dry clothes (best feeling ever!), and Elder Wright went and collapsed in the bathroom, because, sadly, he is not as cold-resistant as I am, bless his heart.

People are getting taught, the work is progressing. I am learning all the time what it means to be obedient, or how to be more diligent, or how to be more effective. Thank goodness Elder Shumway (Danny's junior companion) is so patient with me.

The Church is true. I love you all. I love my mission, I love my area, I love the people I work with, and I love my companion. I am so grateful that I get to serve the Lord.

Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Fisher 

No comments:

Post a Comment