North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Thursday, March 20, 2014

3/17/14 "All things to remembrance"

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." - John 14:26

E. Mickelson got a call this Saturday from the Assistants, who told him that I was going to get transferred and that he was going to be staying in Summit to train a new missionary. So I will be getting companion #16 in area #9 on Tuesday. President might pull another fast one and throw me companion #17 while he's at it, though.

The title of this email is E. Mickelson's favorite scripture. He got in a car wreck in high school and actually died, but was brought back shortly after. He still cannot remember anything that had happened up to 6 months before the accident. Before the crash, he had a very promising sports career ahead of him but his injuries took all of that away, and in the weeks after he had problems with his short-term memory. So, with college sports no longer an option, he decided instead to study the scriptures and prepare for a mission. While reading in the New Testament, he came across John 14:26. The Savior's promise that the Holy Ghost would bring all things to his remembrance was of great comfort to him. It has definitely helped him on his mission so far.

The main story of this week happened on exchange with E. Kemp. We were happily driving to our next appointment when all of a sudden a Storm of Terror came out of nowhere and blasted the whole earth with rain. Rarely ever have I seen enough rain to justify the expression "rain curtain," but this was one such time. The rain made a solid grey wall all around us in the car.

E. Kemp and I were marveling at this when lo! there was a terrifying green flash to the right, filling up the entire right side of our vision for a split second and then disappearing. Elder Fisher pulled the car into a nearby apartment complex and we waited out the storm. Afterward we drove past the spot with the flash to see what we could see. We didn't see any devastation but we did notice a very powerful burnt smell. At the time I had thought it was a lightning bolt but in hindsight I realize that there wasn't a thunderclap, so it was probably a transformer exploding.

The day after, back with E. Mickelson, we were out working and we saw that the storm had knocked over a lot of trees. A photo of one such tree is below.



Shortly after I took the picture, as we were walking back to our bikes, I saw a man waiting for the bus, so I started talking to him. It was a cold day that day and I noticed that he had his hands in his coat pockets, so I asked if he had any gloves. He said no, so I gave him mine. We talked to him a bit more and got his information and then his bus showed up.

Well, there's not much more to say. My time in Summit was very short, but while I was here I helped get Summit III the first investigator at sacrament meeting that it's ever had: Tilak, a man from Nepal who we got to come to Stake Conference. There was a special broadcast with Elder L. Tom Perry that I could spend a lot of time talking about but I don't have the time.

I am LOVING the work and excited to report next Monday on who I'm with and where I'm at. The Church is true. Love you all. Hurrah for Israel!


Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment