North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Thursday, March 20, 2014

2/24/14 "Angels round about"

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." - D&C 84:88



Well. Plot twist number two...

This Thursday was interviews with President Craven. I was the very last person in line to be interviewed, going in after Elders Kendall and Eggett at around 6 PM. I have to admire my mission president's ability to sit in a small room and talk to people for eight straight hours, but he says that he enjoys it...

A portion of the interview went something along these lines:

Me: "President, I would like you to know that I am extremely excited for this transfer. Elder Eggett is a brand new missionary, so that gives me a lot of incentive to be extra obedient and diligent because I need to be a good example. I also know Elder Kendall from back at home, and that also gives me a reason to work hard because I don't want to disappoint him and also because I'm probably going to be seeing him after my mission. He's also willing to run with me in the morning! So all of this makes me really excited. I know that this transfer was inspired of the Lord and that we're all going to really take off in the next few weeks."

President: "...Yes. About that..."

He then told me that an important part of E. Eggett's trial mission is seeing if he can do all the regular missionary things. With only two companions it would be easy for him to sit back and let us do all the work. President told me that, although he had hoped that I would get to see my current investigators get baptized, because E. Eggett had to have only one companion and since he knew Elder Kendall best, he was going to transfer me to Charlotte to be with the Assistants that very weekend. I would stay with them until the end of the transfer, at which time I suppose I would get assigned to a new area.

He asked me if I was okay with that, and I said of course.

While I was making lunch on Saturday morning I got another call from President.
President: "Elder, how long would it take you to pack your things?"
Me: "What? Two hours, I guess."
President: "Could you do it in one? The Assistants will be arriving at your apartment at that time."
Me: "Yes, President. I'll do my best."

I was just barely finishing putting the last few things into the final suitcase when the Assistants arrived. We threw my stuff into their truck and took off for Charlotte.

The current Assistants are Elder Steed, who came out on the plane with me, and Elder Frost, who is one transfer older than we are. Both are absolutely incredible, of course. They work in the UNCC campus and are assigned to the YSA ward there. I have spent many hours with them in meetings and doing paperwork in addition to regular missionary activities.

It's all been rather sudden for me. The changes still haven't really hit me yet. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anybody in Lakefield other than giving the ward mission leader a quick call telling him that I was getting transferred, which surprised him greatly.

Interestingly enough, I have been out 14 transfers and I am now up to 14 companions in my seventh area. That's one per transfer! And I'll be getting comp #15 and area #8 in a few weeks, too.

My thoughts go out to Elder Kendall, who now has to face the task of taking over a new area with only two weeks of experience and also with a brand-new missionary as his companion. He is very capable and competent and I know that if anyone can pull it off, he can.

This whole experience has strengthened my testimony that the Lord really is directing the work. He is always in control.

I don't have the time to say anything else at this moment. Hopefully next week I'll be able to write out a bit more. Love you all! Hurrah for Israel!


Elder Fisher 

No comments:

Post a Comment