North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Monday, July 1, 2013

6/17/13 "NOW will you give me some fightin' room?"


 Another fun week full of fun events! Here's some of them:

1. As we were driving along this week, we saw some rednecks attempt to jump their truck with their riding lawnmower. When we drove back the opposite way about fifteen minutes later they were still going at it.

2. Two Tuesdays ago, on the day we biked 28 miles, we were biking past a house when suddenly the bulldog tied up in front of it broke its chain and chased after Elder Collinwood on the bike. IT WAS SO FUNNY. I just about died watching Elder Collinwood desperately try to outrun the insane dog right on his heels. Eventually he escaped it, so then it turned around and came after me. I calmly got off my bike, put it between me and the dog, and rebuked the beast so that it retreated away. Stupid thing.

3. One fun thing about Shelby at this time of year: FIREFLIES! They come out in hordes at night, and it is so much fun for me to watch them. Other than one night our family spent in Nauvoo in 2005, I have never seen fireflies before, and I love it. Those things are so cool.

4. This week I found out that our church has a cat. There's this ownerless cat that's about 16 years old which just lives around the parking lot, and it's done that for as long as anyone can remember. It's very tame and very friendly.

5. We've continued working on the shed for one of our members. We spent a few hours getting up all four walls and such. Next phase is the roof. It's been good experience for me.

6. Elder Collinwood and I looked at the GPS and discovered that there are over 50 churches within a 2-mile radius of the center of Shelby. How about that?

7. On Tuesday we went to go help a particular less active clean out their home. This person's house is completely filled with boxes and plastic bags and mounds of stuff. From wall to wall, floor to ceiling, save for a 18-inch pathway that starts at the front door and winds its way around mountains of junk through the house to the bed. I'm talking mountains of junk here. Mountains. Think of the goblin lady in Labyrinth with all the garbage on her back. It was literally that bad.

We devoted about two hours or so to "sorting" out their stuff, which mostly involved throwing away the stuff they wanted to keep but was actually garbage. Such as macaroni boxes they'd had since the 90's. There were literally macaroni boxes in there that were older than I've been alive. We took out a sizeable amount of stuff out to the dumpster during that time without even making a dent on the amount still left to do. Nevertheless, we will persevere and continue cleaning in the future, since the family had told us that they wanted help.

8. We had just finished teaching a pleasant lesson to Logan, our baptismal date, and were walking out to the car when we noticed something wrong. It had been a little windy that day -- in fact, there were sirens going off announcing a tornado watch -- and apparently the wind had knocked off a tree branch that fell and completely busted our back windshield. It was entirely gone - not a piece of it was intact. We called up the sweet senior missionary in charge of mission vehicles and asked him what to do.
Elder Cornelius said, "Well, you have a couple of storm cells headed your way, so here's what you do: go down to Lowes, get yourself some plastic, duct tape it to the back of the windshield, and find some cover."
Oh, okay.
So we did. Thankfully the storm missed us entirely, so there wasn't even any rain.
I thought the whole situation was hilarious, Elder Collinwood found it stressful. I thought the odds of a tree branch breaking the back windshield were so remote that there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. If that was the case, we might as well laugh about it.

9. One last thing. We had dinner with a member family on Thursday. The wife told us that the other day she had stepped out of her house in the morning. Due to some trick of the light, the whole sky seemed incredibly bright, far more than anything she had ever seen to the point that it was blinding.
Her heart skipped a beat and she thought, "Oh dear. This is it."
For a moment, she thought it was the Second Coming.
She thought to herself: "Garments? Check. Faithful to husband? Check. Attending church, reading my scriptures..."
Eventually, the lighting changed and she realized it wasn't actually the end, but it was a powerful experience for her.

Just take a minute and think about what you would have done if you had thought the Second Coming had arrived. What would your response be? In some ways I really wish that this experience had happened to me, just so I would know how I would have reacted. Would I be terrified? Overjoyed? Apprehensive?

Think about it for a minute.

I was pondering over this story for the rest of the night.  I remembered a scripture, the words of a great prophet who was talking about when the Lord would come. Said Alma, "Now we only wait to hear the joyful news declared unto us by the mouth of angels, of his coming; for the time cometh, we know not how soon. Would to God that it might be in my day; but let it be sooner or later, in it I will rejoice." (Alma 13:25)

I would to God that the Second Coming happen in my day -- I want to see the Savior so badly. Yet let Him come back at all, and I will rejoice.

I wish to conclude by sharing a song that came to my mind, one of my favorite Primary songs, When He Comes Again. I'll share the final verse with you, since this brought me close to tears that particular evening:

I wonder when He comes again
Will I be ready there
To look upon His loving face
And join with Him in prayer?
Each day I'll try to do His will
And let my light so shine
That others seeing me may seek
For greater light divine.
So when that blessed day is here,
He'll love me and He'll say,
"You've served me well, my little child;
Come into My arms to stay."

May the same be said to all of us, someday. I know the Church is true. I love my mission, I love my companion, and I love my area. I love you all. Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Fisher



No comments:

Post a Comment