North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Sunday, May 26, 2013

4/15/13 "No time bro, no TIME!"

First off: I am getting transferred! I don't know where yet, so put a freeze on all letters and fanmail until I get my address out. It's been a great experience out here in Pineville East, though, and I have learned so much since I arrived here.

Secondly, this has been a rather fun and notable week. Spring finally hit, which meant about a 20 degree boost in temperature and the humidity returned. It's not that bad, though. Trees have started sprouting leaves, providing shade; bare tree trunks have become covered in vines. Some other fun aspects of the North Carolina spring includeenormous bumblebees that have been flying around all over the place. Or rather, hovering. These bumblebees are fond of just hovering in one spot for about ten seconds at a time, then zipping off to who knows where only to reappear and resume hovering in the exact same place a few moments later.

These bees have to be big, I guess, because there is so much POLLEN here. I have no idea where all this pollen is coming from. There were a few days where all parked cars had a yellow layer on top of them from all that pollen. Not good on poor Elder Fisher's allergies.

Another fun aspect of spring are the silkworms. These little things seem to float in the air, but really they're hanging from small, nigh invisible silk threads. Elder Heathcote seems to hit all of them as he bikes, and I need to dust them off of his shirt before we start finding in an area. They always miss me, though, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is The Force.

Every morning we run to the fitness room in our apartment complex. Well, what I mean by "run" is that the Zone Leaders run, and I try to get Elder Heathcote to run with me. Anyway, I've been running to the fitness center every morning for about six months now, but on Friday and Saturday we found a surprise. Apparently a hobo figured out the pass-code to get inside the fitness room and he was sleeping on the bench when we came inside. Kind of funny. I was kind of disappointed when he didn't try it a third time.

Elder Heathcote and I came up with a brilliant idea on Saturday. We were going to go teach a lesson to a recent convert family. As the member had not had a chance to watch Priesthood session last week, I wanted to paraphrase Elder Hales' talk about putting on the Armor of God. The only thing is, I had this brilliant idea about half an hour later. Using my ingenuity, along with available materials and a little cardboard, I managed to construct the whole ensemble in record time and get to the lesson on schedule. (Pictures of Elder Fisher's exclusive homemade deluxe antique custom Armor of God set are forthcoming.)

The member's oldest son, Gary, was brave enough to volunteer and we put the armor upon him while explaining each piece and how it defended us from harm. (P.S. -- It's always tough to explain the feet.) We finished up the lesson around 8:55, with just enough time to say a closing prayer and get home before 9. The father asked Gary to give the closing prayer. Gary stood up to do so...then paused...then fell over and started convulsing.

Quickly an ambulance was called and we moved Gary into the other room. I quickly moved the other children into an upstairs room and got them playing with toys to distract them, then Elder Heathcote and I, at the request of the father, gave the son a priesthood blessing. Afterwards, I sat with the other children. I had them say a prayer, and then I told them funny stories to keep their mind off their brother, like the time when I drove off the cliff in a four-wheeler or when David hung me on the doorknob by my diaper. The ambulance and the family's home teacher arrived at about the same time, and Gary was taken to the hospital.

Thankfully, whatever caused the episode was not bad, since Gary was able to come to church the next day. However, I had a few thoughts about this whole experience:
1) We had not planned to go see this particular family that day.
2) We had delayed our coming because I was working on the lesson.
3) The incident happened after we had already finished the lesson -- not before or during. It happened right before we were about to leave.
4) The same boy who put on the Armor of God had the accident occur to him.
5) Gary did not have anything bad happen to him in the long run.

This was, in a way, a very sacred experience for me. I had an incredible opportunity to be the Lord's hands that night. The whole incident was timed perfectly so that we would have been there to provide the blessing -- and still be able to give a good lesson. It was a good experience for the family; as recent converts, this experience helped their testimony of priesthood power. Years from now, they will not remember my name or the name of my companion, but they will always remember that the Elders were there when they were needed. Most importantly, however, I think it was a good experience for Elder Heathcote. This was something that he needed very much.

I said many a prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father that night to thank Him for this sacred opportunity. I'll remember this one for a long time.

The only bad part of this story was that we got home late, at 9:50. Oh well.
Well, I'm about out of time. I wish for you to know that I have loved my mission so far, and I am excited to meet my new companion in a new area. There are great things around the corner, I can just feel it. I love my mission. The Church is true. Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Fisher 

No comments:

Post a Comment