North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Sunday, May 26, 2013

3/11/13 "And now for a game of disappearing bears!"

Happy Monday!

First item of note:
My new trainee is Elder Heathcote from Orange County, California. True to Murphy's Law, he is exactly the opposite of Elder Shumway; short, stocky, orange-haired, blue-eyed. He's not as quiet talking to people as Elder Shumway was, but he isn't as fast of a biker. Turns out that 4 months in a full-bike area apparently has made me very good at going up hills and such. The first day was rather hard for him, poor fellow.

Second item of note:
I live with the Zone Leaders in our ward, Elder Steenson and Elder Risenmay, both Idaho boys. They were informed by President Craven on Friday that the First Presidency has authorized missionaries to email friends, priesthood leaders, and recent converts, not just their families anymore. So...I'll be able to email you all personally! If you'd like to send me your email, everyone, I could try to send something your way eventually.

Other things of note:
1) This week was the first time in my mission that a man kissed me. (It's not what you think!) Or the first time that anyone, in fact, has kissed me. We offered to help a man load some furniture into his car, and he was so filled with gratitude he gave both Elder Heathcote and I a great big hug and kissed me on the neck. Heheh, he sounded like the voice actor for Hades in Hercules. 

2) Elder Heathcote and I were biking around when I saw a mother walking with her little girl. I stopped and offered her a card to get a free Book of Mormon, and she said, "I already am a Mormon!" Her name was Sister Helms, a mother of three and convert of two years recently moved her from Texas and trying to find the church building. We introduced her to the Relief Society President and got her to church this Sunday. Her husband is not a member, so we've got some work to do there. It was a miracle that we found her.

3) We were out finding people to teach on Saturday, and we met a man named Will. He was initially reluctant to let us in to bless his home -- he felt it would be like a betrayal to his church -- but we explained what we were going to do and what we believed, and he let us in. After the blessing, we offered to help him with his yard, and we spent the next hour or so helping him hoe his lawn and get done other chores. The whole time I talked to him about the Church and what we believed. Some good work done there!

4) I forgot to mention this last week, but something rather ludicrous happened not too long ago. Elder Heathcote was one of 26 new missionaries that came into our mission. However, the week before that, President Craven got a call from the MTC asking him if he could take 13 visa-waiters. Being an awesome man, President Craven said yes, so a week before transfers we got a lot of Spanish and Portuguese-speaking elders. The Zone Leaders were asked to take one of these new missionaries, making a tripanionship.

Well, I walk into the room the day the new elder arrives, and who should I see but Elder Kason Kendall, who I twice had seminary with at Bountiful High.

It just blew my mind how the Lord works. Think about it: of the 350+ missions in the world, and of the 80+ companionships in my mission, Elder Kendall just so happened to get placed with the missionaries that live in the same apartment as one of his high school friends. That's at least a 1 in 28,000 chance, and it's probably much much higher than that. Only the Lord could have worked out that one. It was pretty fun to see him for those two weeks; he headed off to Brazil earlier today.

***
Well, it's been a good week. The Church is still true. I encourage all of you to make sure that:
1) You are reading the Book of Mormon personally every day.
2) You are reading as a family every night.
3) You are attending the temple at least once a month. Especially you, Utah people!
4) You do your home teaching!
5) You honk at the elders when you see them.

Congratulations Sarah, on your engagement! Congratulations Zach on completing a worthy mission. I love you all. Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment