North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are your brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee. -Alma 31:35

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"My daddy taught me good!" Oct.1, 20012


In which is written much information about Dobson, and the area roundabouts, and the proceedings of Elder Fisher and his companion, Elder Molina; their adventures, misadventures, random insights, and so forth. 

By the way, for those of you who were confused by the title of my last email, "BoM" is an acronym for "Book of Mormon." Just so you know.

And AAH! David and Amy are parents! I am so happy for them. Welcome to the world, Madelyn Moriah Fisher! Meet you in two years!

For thee short on tyme
A couple of fun stories about this last week. Wednesday Elder Molina and I were going to do some finding on bikes. We stopped at a less active's house, which was on a slope, and then our plan was to go finding in a place called Turkeyford. When we started out, my bike was in high gear and Elder Molina's bike was in low gear, so he got a pretty good lead on me up the slope before I could get into low gear. Anyway, at the top of the slope was a fork in the road, and chose the right.
Long story short, Wednesday was the first time I lost my companion. After I took the turn and went down the enormously large hill, I realized that Elder Molina was not in front of me. So I turned around, went back up said enormously large hill, and for the next hour, tried to find him. (I would have you know that I waited at the apartment for a good long while.) Thankfully, due to prayer and some caring members, we got reunited back together. Elder Molina had been mortified; I thought the whole situation was hilarious.

The second story was on Friday night when we were eating dinner. It was a small, local place, and I saw a pamphlet on the counter that said "God's Simple Plan of Salvation." I opened it up and gave it a look. It looked like someone had just discovered what the Caps Lock key did. Reminded me a bit of General BUFORD, actually. (here danny is referring the the movie "Gettysburg."   if you have seen it, you will remember that general buford speaks by putting a strong emphasis on random words . . . especially the phrase "HIGH GROUND!"). So, after I finished eating, I went up and shooked the hand of the lady at the cashier to thank her for the delicious meal while, with my other hand, I swapped out their Plan of Salvation pamphlet with one of our own. Elder Molina was actually very impressed with how smooth it was.

Some background info on Dobson. 
If you were to come to Dobson and drive around, you would notice that almost every single house or trailer has a rock in front of it. All of these rocks look exactly the same: grey, obviously fake, about three feet high and three feet wide. I've seen hundreds of them by now, and they're always in the exact same place; about ten yards out at a 45 degree angle from the front of the house. It's like everyone is part of some sort of Druid cult, or is saving up to make their own Stonehenge or something. I puzzled and puzzled for days trying to figure out what on earth was up with all these fake rocks. The first reader to figure it out gets a prize.

Elder Molina and I have a GPS which we have named Isabel, because she leads us astray. Here in Dobson, a GPS gives you directions based on how many Baptist churches you have to pass to get to your destination. If, for example, you want to get to East Bend, you take the first right after Baptist Church #6. If you want extremely specific directions, you go by the color of riding lawnmower on each house.

Another thing about Dobson is that EVERYONE has dogs here. Heavenly Father really has spoiled me. He sent me to a green, rainy place, with a nice apartment, with a companion from Los Cruces, in an area with good food, in a place that has plumbing and where I don't have to eat bugs, and there are dogs everywhere. How spoiled am I? But anyway, everyone has dogs here. If the person lives in a house, it's a big dog. If they live in a trailer, it's a little dog. 75% of the dogs have some strange habit, like walking around on their tummy, or moving by jumping sideways. I love it. (Elder Molina encountered one just the other day that liked sticking its head between people's legs. That was fun to watch.)

Right across the street from our apartment is a young German Shepherd, which has apparently learned that whenever it hears our garage door open, it means that I'm coming out to help back Elder Molina out of the driveway. So it has learned that garage door opening = friend coming out to play. It's really cute. I have my own little Pavlovian experiment going on.

Here in Dobson, I've encountered at least five different Bible translations, dozens of different churches, and 1,348.3 interpretations of scripture. It's funny how people can be living right in the middle of the Apostasy and have no idea that it ever happened. The harder they try to prove that it never happened, the more I come to realize that it did. That's why I am so glad for the Book of Mormon. It's weird that people don't know about it here; it'd mean so much to them if they had it. Having the Bible without the Book of Mormon is like eating a hotdog without the bun.

Dah, I've gone and run out of time again. Curses!

Next week: The Sword of Laban: Explained! You Don't Want to Miss This One!

I know the Book of Mormon is true. That book definitely came from God, and it was meant for our day. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, and I am really excited to hear from our modern-day prophets next weekend.

Love you all! Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment